Two point Children’s Hospital of Danbury has revealed it has had to put more than 200 children on an emergency transport plane since it became aware of an outbreak of coronavirus.
Key points:Two point Childrens Hospital of Australia has confirmed it is facing an outbreakOf the 7,800 children who have been placed on the emergency transport flight, only 6 have tested positive for coronavirusesSource: News Corp Australia|Topics:covid-19,infectious-diseases-other,daniels-0870,newcastle-2300,southport-4215,daniel-0800,dania-0830,vic,canberra-2600,sydney-2000,vicPrime Minister Scott Morrison has said the situation is dire and he has called on all Commonwealth and state governments to work together to ensure every child who is affected gets the care they need.
Two point is currently in quarantine after an emergency meeting with federal health ministers.
In a statement on Wednesday, the health ministry said the state had to make the decision to transport more children because of the increasing number of children being admitted with coronaviral infections.
“The state has to decide if it is in the best interests of the state and the health system to continue with this operation, which will likely require the use of emergency transport aircraft,” the statement said.
“This decision will be made on a case-by-case basis by the state health minister and will depend on the current number of cases being confirmed and the needs of the children being transported.”
Two point said it had not yet been able to confirm how many children were being transported on the flights, but that it was aware of a number of families in the community that had been placed in the emergency accommodation.
“These families are being placed in safe accommodation and are receiving the full range of care available in Australia,” the hospital said.
Read more about coronaviroids:”It is important to note that this is a voluntary operation by the hospital.
We have no authority to change the decision of the State Government.”
Two Point Children’s hospital said it was now “on high alert” after the arrival of a further 200 children, but had been told to prepare for an increase in the number of people coming to the emergency room as more of the virus is identified.
Dr Peter Wootton, the hospital’s chief medical officer, said the hospital had received two new reports of coronaval disease in the past few days, but the first one was in early August and the second one on Wednesday.
“There are many, many more cases of coronacovirus being reported across Australia,” Dr Wooton said.
“We are not able to comment on the number but it is certainly in the tens of thousands.”
He said there were “signs of an increase” in the coronavoid strain but the virus was still in its infancy.
“It’s not a situation that we can be complacent about,” he said.
Dr Wootons statement comes after it was reported on Tuesday that Queensland has recorded a spike in coronavar cases in the first three weeks of the new year.
“If we had a flu pandemic and we had all the cases that were going to be circulating, we would be at the front of the queue,” Dr Henson said.
“The number of coronavets we have now is a very significant increase compared to the previous year and we are very much aware of this and our doctors are working hard to make sure we are not doing anything that could put the Queensland community at risk.”
Dr Waworaga said the Queensland Government’s response had been “very, very, very strong”.
“It would be really easy to put our health and safety at risk by taking people on a plane, we have to make a decision as to whether it’s worth it,” he told AAP.
Dr Henson, the Queensland Health and Medical Research Council (QHMCRC) and Dr Waworsa have been working together on the situation and are working to develop a plan to increase the numbers of children that could be transferred from Australia to Queensland.
Dr Scott Morrison said the Government would work with the state to find a safe, efficient and cost-effective way to transport children.
“We are absolutely determined to get the Queensland system running, we will take whatever steps are necessary to make that happen,” he added.
“The Queensland Government has been absolutely terrific in the last two weeks, but we are also committed to getting the Queensland hospitals operating and we will continue to work closely with Queensland Health, the QHMCCC and the Queensland Hospital Authority.”